MADURAI: After winning the 2019 general elections with a thumping majority and with a huge mandate, Prime Minister Mr.Narendra Modi’s government is all set to present 2019-20 Union Budget on July 5th. Union Finance Minister Mrs.Nirmala Sitharaman is now in the process of giving shape to her maiden budget.
A leading trade body in Madurai – MADITSSIA- had organized a meeting with several industrialists, associations, traders and general public, here on June 19th 2019 to elicit suggestions, expectations and requests on what Madurai district wants for industrial, infrastructure and overall development, from the upcoming Union Budget, for the benefit of tiny and small scale industries.
(VIDEO) WHAT WE WANT FOR MADURAI?
Tamil Nadu BJP State Secretary Prof.Dr.R.Srinivasan and the party’s trade cell office-bearers took note of the main demands and the wants of Madurai, to be forwarded to the Union Finance Minister Mrs.Nirmala Sitharaman immediately for her attention.
1. TRADE AND CONVENTION CENTRE: On the lines of Chennai Trade Centre, Madurai district wants urgently a Trade Centre for which funding is required through Central government scheme of Commerce Ministry. The funding provision is already there.
2. NIGHT FLIGHT FACILITY: A common request came from business fraternity in Madurai was that night flight facility – 24×7 – must be available for Madurai airport. More flights and more connectivity is needed. Night flight service for Madurai airport benefits southern districts of Tamil Nadu and business community in particular.
3. TOURISM PROMOTION: Since the famous Meenakshi Temple is world famous, the Union Budget could provide Madurai-focused special fund allocation to promote tourism facilities, tourism corridor etc with central government funds. Tourism-culture-heritage projects on PPP model and special funds for Madurai district in this sector must be given attention.
4. SUBSIDIES FOR MSMEs: One common demand from Madurai was that special incentives, special subsidies for loans should be given for Micro Small and Medium Enterprises in Madurai region to generate employment, check migration of youth and promote investments here.
5. SPINNING MILLS AND PLASTIC INDUSTRY: For revival of textiles units in Madurai district, there is a plea to encourage handlooms sector. Removing of GST for hank yarn, a system generated acknowledgment for traders in GST & Income Tax portal, provision to directly convey grievances to GST Council, renoval of polyester from anti-dumping and subsidies for modernization of small pickle making units besides incentives for food processing mfrs are some other requests from Madurai.
6. CONTAINER YARD FOR MADURAI: An important appeal to the Union Finance Minister was to sanction a Container Yard for Madurai like what is there in Coimbatore and Hosur.
7. BISCUIT MANUFACTURERS: Several issues related to GST slabs were raised at this meeting. Biscuit manufacturers wants reduction of GST for biscuits since biscuit is a common man product. Demand was made to reduce GST for camphor.
8. LARGE SCALE INDUSTRY: An appeal was made to the Union Finance Minister to announce one large scale industry for Madurai district. Ordinance clothing factory was asked by the industry representatives here for local jobs, youth employment and stop migration.
9. PAPER INDUSTRY: Representatives of paper industry have sought uniform tax for paper and paper products.
BJP TOOK INITIATIVE:
BJP State Secretary and Madurai Zone In-Charge Prof.Srinivasan has said that the BJP wants to be a link between trade/industry and the central government so as to take Madurai district requirements for the Union Finance Minister’s consideration be it for the cause of people who lost their livelihood due to CLOSURE OF GRANITE QUARRIES or setting up TONDIARPET RAILWAY TERMINAL in Chennai etc.
Similar pre-budget interaction / consultation sessions will be held in Dindigul, Virudhunagar and Theni also in next few days.
All representations will be forwarded to the Union Finance Ministry. Tamil Nadu BJP Traders Cell State Secretary Karthick Prabhu, MADITSSIA president K.P. Murugan and other office-bearers spoke at this union budget expectations meeting conducted in MADITSSIA Hall in Madurai city on June 19th 2019 Wednesday evening.